Friday, April 29, 2016

Casting Pewter & Apoxie Putty.



 I did a repair on a French frame I bought in Etsy. The frame arrived today from France. It had been broken and was missing a couple of small parts. The first thing I did was use Apoxie putty to carve the missing pieces. I did that right on the antique metal frame. Then I sand cast a new frame in pewter. I intend to use this for a mirror. Pewter melts at 400 degrees, so I can do this casting in my kitchen melting the metal in a cast iron skillet on my stove. The sand is so fine you can press your finger in it and it will pick up your finger print.
 
Long ago Catherine http://miniaturemaisondesouris.blogspot.com/ sent me a jar of her favorite gilding wax. I assume it is a wax. it smells heavenly! She sent me her favorite color which she thought most resembles real antique gold gild. I took the finished pewter frame and compared it to a early eighteenth century gilded frame I have, it was a perfect match! I can't read the directions about how you are supposed to use it as they are in French. I am wondering if I am supposed to buff it a little with a cloth now that it is dry?
 
 
 
I also made the French architectural mold and cast a few in Apoxie putty. I think I am going to try a different material to cast them in. The putty takes too long to harden and I don't like the surface look of it..
 
 
 
 




22 comments:

  1. What a beautiful result! It looks like
    it should hang in the Louvre.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow everything came out perfect! Very exciting, looks great---

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was rather pleased with the pewter casting. That went well enough.

      Delete
  3. Oh my word......that is stunningly gorgeous!!!! Absolutely perfect for a mirror....well done you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. It has a mirror in it now and I am very happy with how it looks. I was close to falling asleep when it occurred to me compacts have very thin mirrors in them. Usually they are very well glued in. I got out my hair dryer to see if I could loosen the glue. Most of the time the gule is right in the middle and no where else. It only took a couple of minutes and I had it out. Then I had to cut it. haha Another late night!

      Delete
    2. You make me laugh at the thought of you with your compact and hair dryer....what an imagination you have!! Now we wait for photos of the frame AND mirror.....bet the mirror gives it a whole new look?!

      Delete
    3. It really looks great. Silver against that gild color. Swanky! :-)

      Delete
  4. Ooooh! Such an intriguing process and what lovely results. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I would have thought about taking pictures of the sand casting.

      Thank you for your kind comment.

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a beautiful frame! I have next to no experience with metal casting and gilding... so maybe Catherine could send you a translation of the instructions? Are you going to "antique" the mirror? I can see no imperfections in the epoxy castings... but you are the metal master, so I am sure you will find a way to make the perfect molds! Beautiful work, as usual! You always inspire me to try for greater precision!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you.

    I went out this morning to buy a few more things to see if I can get better results with a different casting material.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Catherine,
    Your castings are lovely and thank you for the comment about the Apoxie putty. You fixed the frame beautifully!
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Giac. Perhaps you have used that putty. It is wonderful stuff for all sorts of things.

      Delete
  8. YOU have some MAD Skills- The frame looks Perfect!
    And I really like the casting too! :)

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Elizabeth.

    Everyone knows I'm as mad as the hatter! We both fiddled around with too much mercury. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mirror is beautiful but I have to admit that it's the architectural pieces that I'm mad for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norma.

      It seems like just you and Sandi are the only ones though. I have drawn it out and it would be a gorgeous over window detail on a French house.

      Delete
  11. Love the things you've been making. I see you are thinking of using something quicker drying for the casting of the architectural things. I am wondering if hot glue would work? Just watched this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tveWwYlHAHc&feature=youtu.be and thought it would work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you. I just watched the video you suggested. It is a very interesting technique. I would try it for smaller projects. Somehow the idea of part of the embellishment on a house being glue, is disturbing to me. Foolish as that might be.

    ReplyDelete